Friday, April 27, 2012

A New Magazine Hits the Shelves!


I saw a post on Free Thought Blogs yesterday, where American Atheists, Inc. have started a quarterly magazine, and have begun sales of the first edition at Barnes & Noble!

Unfortunately, the blog accused the Faithful of hiding them behind other magazines, which I thought was a bit over the top, given the often poorly arranged condition of most magazine sales shelves in the first place, how customers come in, pick up mags and haphazardly put them back on the nearest shelf with little regard for where they picked them up.  So, I really don't think that accusation is particularly accurate until we see more evidence of any nefarious activities on the part of the Faithful.

But, the good news is, as you can see from the picture I took, at the Rockville, MD store I frequent (when I'm not buying books online that is), that the two copies I found were not "hidden", but fairly easy to find.  So I grabbed a copy and paid the $4.72 (including tax) they charged me as a member.  Not a bad price.

So, what was the lead story?  The War on Christmas, of course!  The fake one, which is the only one I know about.  As the author noted, nobody sent out a memo, so if there IS one, few of us atheists got the message.

The story is about the struggle at the Loudon County Courthouse over the Christmas displays, and the mostly poor reactions of the local christian groups, and the battle the local atheist groups have had in dealing with that bad behavior.  A good story, not too slanted towards the atheist side, telling the story in a fairly factual manner.  Nice to NOT see the usual christian reporter's snarky attitude and snide comments.

It kind of makes you realize just how slanted the mainstream media can be...

1 comment:

Peachythings said...

Robert, I'd be so surprised to find that magazine in these parts, but if I do see it, I'll buy it.

Linda