Thursday, May 24, 2012

Disgusting misogyny on the left, too.

I don't think I've written anything on this blog about the truly disgusting misogyny that the Republican Party has been engaged in (over the last year especially), but I know that I've linked to numerous articles on my Facebook page on the subject, both in the mainstream media and on FreeThought Blogs.

Today, though, I've seen something that disgusts me as much, if not more.

On Alternet, which usually hits the right wing a lot, they've linked to an attack by Hustler magazine on a conservative commentator, S.E. Cupp, reported by the online magazine, International Business Times.

The attack, disguised as a political commentary opposing her conservative views, culminates with a Photoshopped image of Ms. Cupp with a penis in her mouth.

Now, anybody who knows me understands that I can get enraged by this kind of attack.  It is NOT a political attack.  Let me say that again:  This is NOT a political attack!

It is an attack on Ms. Cupp as a woman who comments on politics in an attempt to shut her up through marginalizing her by portraying her as a sex object.  It is the oldest, meanest, lowest form of attack known to man in his age-old attempts to dominate women and keep them out of public affairs.  It is unworthy of a left leaning organization, especially, but it is wrong, repulsive and outright loathsome whenever it is used.

I want to emphasize that I don't care what Hustler Magazine's political persuasion is.  I understand that they have historically taken a left leaning track.  They are still wrong.  Indeed, they are exceptionally wrong for that very reason!

Ms. Cupp may not be a person with whom I would politically agree (understatement of the century), but here, that matters not.  What matters is that Hustler has attacked a person - a well known woman of the opposing political persuasion of theirs - and done it in the most objectionable manner possible, which completely negates anything they may have wanted to say about her political stances.

Once again, I will emphasize - this kind of a personal attack is wrong.  An Ad Hominem attack is not only always wrong, but is a particularly bad logical fallacy.  It is always out of place, no matter who engages in it, and it cheapens the political discourse whenever it is used.

Hustler magazine is no longer credible as a commentator of political matters - if they ever were.

Alternet has linked to a Moveon.org petition against Hustler Magazine.  I urge you to go and sign it.

I sure will.

1 comment:

Oldfart said...

I agree. Disgusting.